Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hear Say

The fundamental difference between a statement and a query, essentially is the question mark at the end of the sentence. Whenever I teach class, I have a bunch of women who comes up to me all the time to make statements that sums up to, "I cannot do this". I usually give them a blank stare and frown - my version of a reply. Reason for my attitude is because I personally feel that such a no-brainer statement does not warrant an intelligent respond.

Making a statement such as the above is a very dangerous subconscious denouncement. Uttering this statement leaves no room for improvement. It’s final, definitive and negative. Don’t shut yourself down. Try to see the other side of the equation, think positive and imagine the cup half full. Positive affirmation is important.

Instead, try believing and saying something such as, "I’m having difficulty with this, can you explain how I can do it better", or "this is really tough, what can I do to perform it better?"

Most times, it is a matter of tonality. Positive tonality, even to oneself, results in positive output and like my pro-bono publicist's mantra, "it's not what you say, it's how you say it".

No comments: