Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I Think, Therefore I Dance


I had a recent debate with someone recently and the motion was, "Can every dancer teach dance?" And my answer was a firm NO.

Let's start from the fundamentals...

Most dance instructors were or are dancers and because of their experience and knowledge, they started to teach dance. Most who stay in the game long enough would know that all forms of dance go right down to basic dance techniques, with origins from ballet, classical, etc.

Not all dancers can teach. Let me tell you why. For one, many dancers are good at execution but not all dancers have the ability to impart the right knowledge, skills and insights while commanding a class full of potential performers and push them to the best of their capabilities.

For one, I see many dance teachers trying to fill every count of eight with choreography and that itself in my humble opinion is not quite right. Because, going back to the basics, dance on its own really is an expression and in itself tells a story. Most importantly, dance is supposed to express what music cannot in a physical form.

Based on the simple understanding of the rhetorics behind dance, teachers should abide by the simple motto of giving, impart what they know and in turn, they will receive the gift of knowledge, from their own students. Trust me, for I've been there.

The next time, when someone tells you to kick higher, increase your speed in turns, slow down and think. Think about perfection, about getting the right pull-ups, the correct isolations, controlled movements before trying to perfect that pirouette.

Like what I say in class sometimes - turning is easier than standing up. If a technically trained dancer cannot even stand, or pliƩ properly, how can he/ she perform a turn?

Remember, it is not about how high you kick. It is about the process of getting the right kick.

Break a leg peeps!


Ps. I am starting workshops in Jazz, Funk, Hip Hop in August. E-mail me at billcalhoun@billcalhoun.com for updates or watch this space for more details.

No comments: