Monday, September 24, 2007

Eat like the Romans Do... But Only in Rome

Just munched on a morning meal of Kaya toast and hard boiled eggs. I’m open…I’m adventurous…I’ll give anything a try.

The coffee was too sweet... really don't understand why locals like this stuff.


The toast was… well, not very eventful. As far as toast goes it was a bit thin; sort of like eating a brown soda cracker, only softer. The kaya was good…I guess. Reminded me of the gooey stuff inside a hard-cased jelly bean but, not as chewy.


And the egg…

Well, it was an egg. Not too much to fuss about. However, I was then told that the best way to eat the egg was to squiggle a bit of this black sauce on the thing. And I sitting there wondering why they had soya sauce on the table.

That’s when I kind of lost it. My conventional western wisdom short circuited. You see, in the west we just leave the perfectly yellow-centered, bouncy pristine white outer skin oblong eggie along. We just shake a dash of salt and pepper and put it into our mouths or suck the whole thing in at once. Sloshing this black sauce on seemed a bit…a bit blasphemous. Here, this perfect colored morsel was now drowned and discolored in a muckiness that resembled black crude oil on one's white dungarees.

Buuuuuuuut, it actually didn’t taste too bad (with the black sauce, that is).

Hmm.

Nevertheless, on my trash day I think I’ll stick to my Mickey-Dees, fat, piping hot flap jacks — swimming in butter and oozing maple syrup—side-swiped with overly cooked, much too rubbery scrambled eggs.

Kaya? Just don't do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy...can't believed u only try this now..half boiled eggs is my favourite with black soya sauce..yummy yummy. Btw they are wel-know for their kaya. And I know the (main) boss personally..used to do design for him. Very nice christian guy (bro). Used to brings me his special kaya each time he comes to me for design and even bought me dessert. hee..Havent met him for years. Lost touch! :(